Is there any rule governing the use of "big" and "large"? If yes, what is it?
First, I use WebCOLL- Wikipedia Edition to find the collocations.
"big"
1396 hit
665 brother
647 band
573 break
552 city
446 name
401 success
334 fan
331 problem
317 screen
"large"
12617 number
4316 amount
3514 part
2912 city
2135 scale
1714 area
1622 group
1373 portion
1306 quantity
925 population
I find that "big" and "large" have same words, but I also find that "big" is more useful than "large".
Something like the word "brother", I never think that "big" can use it.
"big brother is equal to older brother"
And the word "hit", it means very popular.
The word "large",it is linking some words which are showing with size or amount.
Then, I use Merriam-Webster's Learners' Dictionary to find the meanings.
"big"
1 : large in size
2 : large in number or amount
3 : important or significant
4 : informal : older or more grown up
5 : very popular
6 : very strong, forceful, etc.
"large"
1 : great in size or amount
2 : not limited in importance, range, etc.
The word "big" have many different meanings, I chsose the meaning that I think it is important.
1 comment:
It's obviously that you now know how to use these corpus tools to generate rules. Good.
Post a Comment